Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sweet & Savory Sunday | Sweet Potato + Kale Soup

Today seriously sucked and called for some major girl time + comfort food. I had a cup of kale & sweet potato soup from Whole Foods' hot bar for lunch today and I was soooo obsessed I pinterested for more. This soup wasn't cheap to make ($24.00 and I already had some of the ingredients) but, as I told the woman swiping my card at the grocery store, "This better be the best damn soup I have ever made" - and thankfully, the culinary God's were listening and it definitely was. 

The recipe:

I was using a roughly 6 quart Le Creuset French Oven and the recipe at Gimme Some Oven yields much more than that, so I made some minor adjustments to the recipe. I generally prefer a heartier, less-liquidy soup anyway, so it turned out just fine. 

  • I used 48oz of lower-sodium chicken stock versus 64oz
  • 2 lbs of sweet potatoes is roughly 2.5 large sweet potatoes, which takes up way too much bulk in the pot. Instead, I used (roughly) 1.8 large sweet potatoes, skin-on
  • I used Aidell's all natural spicy mango with jalapeño chicken sausage
  • I used Barilla veggie rotini

The Result:

This will definitely be a new staple in my kitchen and a healthier go-to when I'm craving some heartier comfort food. With that whole healthier comment said - I'm off to go top this meal off with some blueberry cheesecake ice-cream with a girlfriend. #OnSundaysWeEatOurFeelings

No comments:

Post a Comment