Sunday, January 26, 2014

5 Ways Relax & Unwind | My Vaca & Go-Tos

This past week I've been completely not myself (I'd like to think this is caused by the fact I've been sleeping on my living room couch for two weeks because my room is covered in sawdust & ahem, hormones for this ... in addition to some personal stressors going on.)

I was emailing a girlfriend and casually said, "I seriously need a vacation and some yoga." Then it hit me, I do a lot of little things for myself (like, buy a new top or go get my eyebrows done) but never any "big" things. It's about damn time I do a "big" thing! So, I went home and made a decision. I got off at 4:00pm and by 4:30 my boyfriend and I had booked a week-long cruise to Mexico & The Grand Cayman over my birthday. The next day, I marched my butt over to my favorite hot yoga studio and bought myself a year-long membership. 

I've always done yoga here & there (my mom being a notoriously, ridiculously talented yogi) but have never bought myself a membership because it was simply too expensive. This membership & this cruise was costly (the blow lessened by government rates ... ) but I decided that it was in the best interest of my health and sanity to make a conscious effort to do something, for me, to relax. For me, it's worth it.

While I'm counting down the days to my week of Bahamian relaxation (76 to be exact) I've decided to truly commit to taking more time for myself and r e l a x i n g. Here are a few simple ways to make the most out of "you" time.

Read a book
I'm ashamed of myself, I never read. I maybe get through a book a year. But I've wanted to start! I'm absolutely obsessed with the movie The Wolf on Wall Street so I can only imagine how engrained I would be at the book (I know book-before-movie critics are cringing.)

Have a spa night, obviously
Essie polish & Philosophy body wash / bubble bath make for ultimate relaxation. Try this shade "Sable Collar" and scent "Pink Frosted Animal Cracker". Throw in your favorite face mask for the ultimate experience.

Get shamelessly wrapped up in a Netflix drama
I won't judge you if you finish the entire season of Orange is the New Black in one night  (and then re-watch it three weeks later - #WhereIsSeasonTwo)

Go on a run
There is nothing more relaxing than a run with a good playlist. Not a run where you're trying to beat a personal record, time or pace ... a run where you're just running to run - whether it's for five minutes or sixty I always feel infinitely more relaxed. Cute running shoes don't hurt either, ASICS GEL-Noosa.

Make something delicious off Pinterest, for yourself
Cooking is my ultimate source of zen. It's really rewarding to put a lot of hard work into something & it turns out perfectly. Your nights should not be limited to lean cuisines and peanut butter sandwiches (guilty) ... treat yourself to something fancy! Don't these Baked Egg Tarts from Apron Strings Blog look incredible?! #CravingBreakfastforDinner

No comments:

Post a Comment