Saturday, December 28, 2013

Everything is Perfect, Even if it Isn't | 2013

2013, wow

I've learned more this year about myself and life than in any other year I've walked the earth. It's been the best year of my life, but it hasn't been without challenge. I started my career on the 2nd of January, and a few days later I met the man who would change my life. Two weeks later, I watched my dad lay in a hospital bed fight for his life and health for months, visiting him every day. The following months were crazy (in a good way) - I excelled at work, I moved into my boyfriend's apartment, I traveled, I went to concerts, I had fun. After here-and-there conversation about getting a dog in the future, we saw this straggly, adorable labradoodle standing on the sidewalk outside Dean & Deluca in Georgetown, and immediately got on our phones to google breeders near our hometown. With the weirdest stroke of luck we found one who had listed her week-old puppies that morning, and weeks later Baja-doodle was ours. Towards the end of the year, I was a first-time Maid of Honor at my cousin's wedding and  moved (yet again) into a bigger home. But, highs aren't without lows. In November I went through my biggest personal test of my integrity & faith. After taking a few weeks to myself, I started to pick up the pieces and heal. Amongst the chaos, I received an amazing promotion, my parents traveled to receive world-class medical care that would put my dad out of pain, and my brother (who is fighting odds with Autism) just wrapped up his first semester of college. 

In reflection, this year has been perfectly imperfect. I've gained, lost and learned. I riskily dove heart-first into a relationship, gaining a best friend in the process. As a result of my dad's illness, I've watched my parent's marriage grow stronger than it's ever been. I've learned how to be 100% financially dependent on myself, and still have fun. My sweet puppy filled a void in my soul I didn't know existed. November's test of my faith has strengthened friendships and my relationship, teaching me that I am much stronger than I will ever give myself credit for.  I wrap up 2013 smarter, more humble and grateful, with new friends, new family and with a small hole in my heart but with immense hope and happiness. 

I'm sitting back on my couch, enjoying my morning coffee, thinking "everything is perfect, even if it isn't." Things don't always have to be perfect for them to be perfect. If you stub your toe getting out of bed, the day doesn't have to be ruined. If you live your life focusing on your shortcomings, you'll never appreciate the beauty in the lesson. In the past I've been so focused on perfection that I've failed to recognize it's the flaws in life that have crafted my character. I'm thankful for the perfectly imperfect. 

#BringItOn2014

No comments:

Post a Comment